Tuesday, February 17, 2004

my new linear algebra technique is unstoppable

Today I realized that I can either do the crossword in my math class or skip the homework, but not both. It's a tough decision: I have to be in class every day anyway, bcause there are quizzes on Tuesdays that get handed back on Thursdays. Given just that information, one would think that skipping the homework and sitting through the class is the better option, but it's not. The professor has some of the worst speech mannerisms I've ever heard. He does that thing (common among Indian people) where he says "3 by 4" instead of "3 divided by 4." He lets questions sit in dead air for too long. He has a few favorite questions like, "Isn't it?" that he uses constantly and in totally inappropriate places: "Assume A is an n x n matrix, isn't it?" He opened the semester with a big talk about how "we're taking 300-level math courses now, so he's not going to bother us so much," and now he waves grades over everyone's heads. He laughs at people when they try to move the class along by answering his questions sooner, instead of waiting for him to do it himself. Long story short, I'm keeping the blessed distraction of the crosswords and doing the homework from now on.

No comments: