Sunday, July 12, 2009

train eat rest

That's the advice I got from Alvaro Romano's ginastica natural seminar. Train eat rest, in that order. No skipping the eating or the resting. No train eat eat eat rest, no train rest eat, no train train rest train... you get the idea. He actually talked through various disallowed permutations of training, eating, and resting for several minutes.

I have not exactly been following that advice for the past few days. Tuesday wasn't that bad -- I biked to work in the morning (it took about 1:20) but I got lucky and there was a severe thunderstorm in the evening so Feanil came to pick me up. Wednesday was ok, too: my first personal training appointment. She's going to help me come up with strength training workouts that will fit in with my biking and BJJ!

Thursday, though, was brutal. I biked to work in the morning (1:10) and then biked even harder on the way home because I had to make it back for BJJ (also about 1:10 because I stopped for lemonade). Got to the house, picked stuff up, and went to BJJ. I should have been exhausted at that point, but I guess biking muscles are not required for BJJ because I was not having any trouble rolling. In the future we're going to try to hit the advanced class -- we'd been going to the beginner class in order to coordinate with A., but I feel like tomorrow we should either go to both classes or just go to the later one. After BJJ we went to see a very cool band with some cool folks. So Thursday was more like train eat train train eat drink rest. Note how there is no drinking in Romano's prescription? There's a reason for that.

On Friday I was beat. I dragged myself through a day of work, then came back to the neighborhood for a boxing class. The workout is usually challenging, but this time it was rough. I still hadn't recovered from the day before. In fact its been a few days now and my leg muscles are still much tighter than they ought to be. Lesson learned: biking to work requires extra stretching. I took yesterday as a rest day. F. and I played some tennis, but I'm not good enough at tennis yet to actually get tired doing it. I feel a lot better. I've been thinking I may want to only bike to work 2-3 days per week until I get more used to it. Since it's not my only activity, I can't have it killing my energy for my real sport.

And today's round two of the personal training! I'm excited.

1 comment:

Nathan VanHoudnos said...

Over an hour of biking to work! Wow. I thought my bike commute of 30 minutes was going to be bad.

Don't burn yourself out. The warranty on your knees is voided with too much activity. :)