Wednesday, December 06, 2006

adventures are so six months ago

I feel like there are a lot of individual things going on with a lot of individual friends, and it all adds up to a general malaise. Not all of it is bad: D. is graduating and making awesome plans. Bdon has the kind of job that will help him get into grad school in the field it seems like he wants to be in (but does he want to be in it? His usual enthusiasm is MIA). Some of us have genuinely good things going on: F. is going to graduate and I think his plans are to stay local for grad school. I've been getting a lot done on my own research lately. But Matt seems generally discontented, the psych crew is always busy and they all have the same long face, and Bdon also has plenty of things to get him down. I'm concerned. I don't know how to cheer up people who don't have time to cheer up. Or maybe this is a feeling only I have, and it just makes me interpret other changes in a different way.

A completely separate thought: I like it when my man shows off for me! Not obvious things like muscle-flexing (though that's fine too), but little stuff. Like thoughtfully shaving before we are going to spend time together. Or a little butt shake in my direction. Maybe wearing a nice shirt and asking what I think of it (while making muscles?) when he already knows I dig it. These are things that girls know to do, because in a way we're more used to being pretty, having people look at us. I am glad when guys catch on, though! Keep the admiration channels open.

1 comment:

Apis mellifera said...

You would think that being happy would seem an appropriate balance while being around people that are troubled. But of course, that doesn't work. Then you think, maybe being similarly down is the right thing, but how self-centered is that. Maybe just being a distraction is the best we can hope for and making time for distraction.