Thursday, November 06, 2003

Hi honey, I'm home

I wonder: how common is it for men in couples to become house-husbands? Does it vary with income/education level? I think it might have a spike in the upper middle class, and then drop again as people get richer and more conservative.

I don't think I would like being a housewife - I might like it a little bit, but I can think of many things that I would rather do. Also, getting a PhD and then staying home with the kids doesn't seem efficient. But at the same time, I imagine I'd like a house-husband: if I ever have kids, somebody's got to stay home with them. And wouldn't it be nice to get home and there'd be a dude who's already warm when it's cold out? But if I don't want to be a housewife (and for good reason), what dude would want to be a house-husband?

No comments: