Wednesday, March 17, 2004

eyes peeled

A couple of days ago it snowed again, after the snow had all been melted for a few weeks. Apparently a few weeks is long enough for me to become unused to the sight; that morning, the shock of seeing everything coated in heavy white was as strong as it is in October. It was cottonball-weight snow, on a morning in mid-March following a warm day. Surprising. I think that kind of shock is what makes people like seeing. We've all been looking at things for so long that when something surprises us it's shocking in such a way that we'd like to be shocked again. Surprising visuals are the best thing about getting up in the morning. (I think I see them disproportionately in the morning because I spend the rest of the day at work, where I have already seen everything.) I want to carry a digital camera around to record all the new things I see, and post them here.

In the past, I have seen these things that I can immediately think of, which were new and strange when I saw them:
a man walking backwards with his dog following him, walking forward
a guy who plays a banjo on his porch on summer afternoons
some Korean students learning collectively to ride a bike
the library stacks, when I got lost there

No comments: