Thursday, September 25, 2008

chhote chhote baingan

The co-op had extremely tiny, extremely cute eggplants today so I bought them without really thinking what I should do with them. When I got them home (oo, baby eggplant, let me get you alone) I checked one of my favorite food blogs to see what they would do with cute eggplants on a Thursday night. I settled on a fairly uncomplicated shaak type thing (they didn't call it that though, because they're southies). I had also impulsively bought some small roma tomatoes (because they were the same size as the eggplants, duh), so I threw those in. At the end I tasted it and it didn't seem quite right. I added a bit of salt: better, but still something was missing.

The secret ingredient was shredded coconut. Not the sweetened stuff you get in the baking aisle, but the plain kind that indian stores sell. It added just enough sweetness & depth to cancel out the slightly bitter taste of the eggplants. I tell you, I cannot eat this fast enough.

No comments: