Friday, September 28, 2007

Why not? Certainly you wil get.

I'd had these ancho chiles sitting around in my fridge, waiting for me to get around to stuffing them. But I kept thinking it'd take a long time, so I never actually did it. Turns out it's easy! I fried some rice with onions, cumin seeds, and canned crushed tomatoes, and then put that in the peppers with some cheese and baked them (450 degrees, 15ish minutes). They could have been roasted beforehand - I think that would have made the peppers softer & milder - but they were delicious just the way they were.



Next time I won't take the seeds out of the peppers with my bare hands, though. I often have a lot of little cuts on my fingers, and it really burned for a while. The skin is only just starting to feel normal again.

2 comments:

w0z said...

The last time I was cooking with habeneros (I wish I knew how to put the accents on), I accidentally got some of the habenero oil on my face. And from there, up my nose.

Ai! It burned.

Which will teach me to wash my hands more thoroughly when working with hot peppers!

But, it turns out that vodka helps -- so break out the plastic bottle of solace the next time you're cooking with chiles. I haven't yet figured out the mechanism by which it helps, though.

w0z said...

I forgot the method! You apply the vodka topically -- although drinking it provides a different sort of relief.